Race report- Nike Run to the Beat half marathon


Well, I have now achieved one of the resolutions I set for myself at the new year, I have completed a half marathon!

The alarm went off at 4.50am, it was soooo dark!

I had a breakfast of overnight oats with blueberries and a banana. Little pink lady in it so I knew it was mine and not Rob’s!

We then set off at 5.30am for the o2 in London which is where it was all starting.We drove which was actually the easiest and least stress-free way of getting there, and also ended up the cheapest!

Here I am before the race!

Here’s Rob and I before the race. I don’t know what he was looking at!

We were really lucky with the weather, it was so sunny. I had a few dates while I was waiting to start and some water. The race started at 9.45am and by the time I crossed the start line it was about 5 past 10. Off I went!! My plan all along was to run/walk the whole thing. I started off too fast, and thankfully I wore my Garmin so I was able to see that I was going too fast. It felt like everyone was overtaking me though because everyone seemed to go off at such a speed! I was really disciplined though. My aim was to stay between 10 and 11 minute miles throughout. I ran the first 3 miles and then walked for 90 seconds and every now and then I made myself walk for about a minute. I did have to stop a couple of times to stretch out my hip flexors but I didn’t get stressed about it as I was enjoying it so much!

Around every mile there was a DJ playing a set which was very cool and great for motivation. There were also water and Powerade stations, and the Powerade seemed to work for me! The furthest I had ever run before yesterday was 8 miles, and I got to 8 miles and felt great! And so did 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13.

I really really enjoyed the half marathon, and bizarrely enough found it easier to run than my recent 5k! I had a great plan and got to the end in one piece having loved every minute of it.

My final stats were… 

I was so pleased with the average pace, and I reached each 3 mile marker in around 30 odd minutes, ranging from 30-34 minutes.

I got an awesome medal as well! After we’d finished we drove home, I showered and then kipped for an hour. We then went out and had a carvery and I had this beast of a meal!!

We watched the Berlin marathon on our sky+ and then had a super early night. All in all a fabulous day!! 😀


3 responses »

  1. Yay well done congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 Awesome time too.
    Glad it all went well.
    And I forgot to tape the Berlin marathon- oops! 🙂

I love to read your comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s